Media on the Move
New Practices in Flexible Learning 2006
The Media on the Move Project: New Practices in Flexible Learning 2006 has explored the application of online casting in educational contexts. A number of different educational organisations have been involved in the development of this resource – a how and why for organisations. The Project researched new good practice models that will assist organisations wishing to embed online casting into the delivery of education and training programs within VTE and ACE learning environments.
Key questions addressed by this Project are:
- Why would an organisation consider online casting as a flexible delivery option?
- Why would an organisation choose online casting as a flexible delivery option?
- What is involved for organisations wanting to include online casting in their education and training repertoire?
What is online casting?
Online casting, for the purpose of this Project, was described as: the distribution of diverse educational resources in the form of multimedia files such as audio, music, video, flash, text (or a combination of these), using syndication technology such as RSS, for playback on mobile devices and personal computers.
The Revelations section in Findings explores issues around definitions of online casting more fully.
What you will find here
There are three main sections in this resource.
- Case studies
- The Case studies describe how different organisations have used online casting to provide new teaching and learning opportunities. Each case study:
- Gives a brief description of the organisation.
- Describes the process of setting up online casting within the organisation – the what, why and how (the story so far).
- Provides an audiovisual story describing key stages, highlights and outcomes (snapshot).
- Provides an analysis tool that can be used to map your organisation’s readiness against the described model (Where are you?).
- The Findings explore the context, emerging issues and future directions of online casting. In this section you will find:
- The results of a literature search – a summary of key research and discussion around online casting.
- Reflections on the Project by an external evaluator.
- Revelations – key findings from the Project, including emerging issues and perceived patterns.
- Tools & Terms
- Tools and Terms provides an explanation of both the educational and online casting terminology used in the case studies. The Glossary provides:
- definitions of terms and tools
- links to some online casting tools.
Who is it for?
This resource is for organisations who wish to develop increased capability to deliver sustainable and innovative education and training in a range of national VTE contexts.
The focus is on online casting and new practices in innovative elearning delivery and organisational development.
The models and guidelines in this resource will help your organisation to explore the benefits and disadvantages of online casting for the organisation, for teachers and for learners. The case studies and analysis tools will assist you to make decisions about the value and future of online casting in your particular educational environment.